Music Monday - A Writing Sample

The following is an excerpt from a lyric war I did based on the following:
"I'm in love with my own sins." (The American Suitehearts – Fall Out Boy)

***

When I do it, I know it’s wrong. But I love it.
I love it. I hate it. But sometimes, I think a bigger part of me loves it.
My hand, wrapped around the knife, clenches tighter. I’ve been told all my life it’s a sin to hurt myself. My body is supposed to be “a temple.” I’m not supposed to mutilate it. Slice it. Cut it.
But I do it anyway.
The door is locked. I lean against it, knees curled up to my chest. My arm trembles. It’s not the first time I’ll do it, and it won’t be the last. This should feel normal by now. I should be able to just do it. Don’t think. Just do. Think later.
I tell myself I’ll stop when I want to. Every day that passes is deemed the day I’ll finally not do it. But there’s no other way to take away the pain. As the world destroys me, I need to destroy something. And the only thing I can actually destroy is myself.
My eyes close. Metal against flesh. Just a little less space and they’ll meet. And since I’ve done this so many times before, this time, I won’t feel a thing.
The blade sinks into my arm.
I was wrong.
I still feel something.

***

I took this piece of writing and modified it to put it into my novel in verse, Indelible. As an example of what can be inspired, changed, or modified from a lyric war, I've put a sample below.



***

when I do it
I know it’s wrong
but I love it

I love it
I hate it
but sometimes
a bigger part of me
loves it

my hand
grips the knife

I shouldn’t mutilate
my body
slice it
cut it

but I do anyway

the door is locked
I lean against it
knees curled up
to my chest

my arm trembles
although this isn’t
the first time
and it won’t
be the last

by now
this should
feel normal
no thinking involved
just do
think later

I tell myself
I’ll stop
when I want to

every day
that passes
is deemed the day
I’ll finally
not do it

but there’s
no other way
to take away
the pain

as the world
destroys me
I need
to destroy something

the only thing
I can actually destroy
is myself

my eyes close

metal against flesh
just a little
less space
and they’ll meet

since I’ve done this
so many times before
this time
I won’t
feel a thing

the blade sinks
into my arm

I was wrong

I still
feel something

No comments:

Post a Comment